making a waldorf doll


Last September my daughter received a very special birthday gift from her Granny -  the materials to make a Waldorf doll!  We immediately signed out this book and traced out the pattern and read all of the instructions.  

So it was sometime in October when we actually started the somewhat intimidating project.  A and her (other) Gramma cut out the fabric and sewed up the body and arms on the sewing machine.  Then it came home to be stuffed with fluffy white sheep wool.


The above photo was taken November 19, 2011.  After this, life stepped in and completely stalled the project for several months.  Christmas, Birthdays, and Mama's nervousness about proceeding meant that she didn't get picked up again until March 16, 2012!  But this time I was determined to finish this doll!  :o)

definitely not the way to sew up the head! ;o)

So the next big task of hand stitching began.  One night I sewed and sewed for 3 hours, and then the next day unpicked it all and resewed each stitch again.  I made mistakes ... (so many mistakes!) but learned something from each one until eventually she started to take shape and look more like a doll.

my first attempt at sewing her head on....a bit crocked!

Gramma sewed the doll and my daughter matching pj's for Christmas so even though she wasn't finished we had to try them on her.  I soon started to feel badly about poking her face with pins to mark where her eyes and mouth would soon be sewn.  We decided that she now needed a bonnet to keep her warm as her hair was the last step to complete.  The bonnet was given to us by the hospital when my daughter was born.  In fact the doll is the same measurements as A was when she was born - a mere 18" long!
After several attempts I finally stitched the doll's eyes, mouth and neck to my satisfaction.  It looks so simple doesn't it?!  It's not!  And what made it even more intimidating for me was if I accidentally snipped the fabric when I was unpicking a stitch I'd have to start again!

I read that the eyes say so much about the doll's personality and it's so true.  If you are not already familiar with Waldorf dolls it's important that the doll have a 'blank' facial expression so that the child can play out any emotion.  All of these factors made it a very challenging project. 

no hair yet, but coordinating outfits!
 
But it was all so worth it in the end!  And I'd do it all again if either of my children asked for a sibling for this doll.  I think I needed something to challenge me creatively and she did just that.  In fact I think she may just continue to challenge my sewing skills, say if she needed a pair of those adorable little felt shoes....maybe with a bit of embroidery?!  Or maybe I'll challenge my knitting skills as we've already discussed a new scarf, but maybe a matching hat too?!

~ ~ ~
So now,
5 months after her conception
(almost as long as it takes to make a real baby!?)
we are happy to introduce...

Emily!  


 She was officially 'born' on March 24th, 2012
and has red hair and blue eyes just like my daughter.
My daughter choose not to name her until she was completely finished
and had a chance to 'meet' her.
(we made the same decision 9 1/2 years ago
and coincidentally Emily was my 2nd choice!)

~ ~ ~

Like many new Mother's, her Mummy has BIG plans to sew this new addition to our family an entire wardrobe.  And maybe some coordinating clothes for herself if she's lucky! ;o)

...and I suppose this now makes me a Granny!?
xoxo
~ joey ~  

1 comment:

  1. Emily is just beautiful! What a great job, your daughter must be thrilled. Looking forward to seeing her new wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading your thoughts and ideas about the posts that I write here. It's nice to just say hi too!
~ joey ~