diy: pillows for spring


I'm really loving birds, eggs, nests, and feathers this Spring so I wanted some new pillows for the couch that suggested that theme.  I had an image in my head of what I wanted them to look like but because I couldn't be bothered to start searching the stores, (I'd rather make them than go into town to shop!) I instead began looking around my home to see what I had to work with.


Ah ha!  I looked at my walls and found the solution!  A couple of years ago I bought a large outdated calendar with paintings of birds, nests and eggs at the Thrift Store for $4 because I loved the artwork.

I removed some of the prints that I had framed, slid them into my printer/copier and copied the images onto printable iron on transfer sheets and instantly I had my images ready to embellish my pillows!


I dug through more of my thrifted supplies and found a piece of white fabric and thread...this project was certainly coming together nicely and costing only pennies!  Now I just needed fabric for the back of the cushions, so I dug out the remains of a sheet that I re-purposed into the backing of the St Patrick's Day table runner I recently made and cut the pieces for an envelope closure for the back of each pillow...sweet!

If you want to make one of these fun inexpensive pillows you'll need the following:

- 20" down pillow form
- 19" square white fabric
- iron-on transfer paper with your image printed
- coordinating fabric for envelope closure (2 pieces 19"x17")
- thread

* Copy your image onto the transfer paper with your printer.
* Iron it onto the 19" piece of fabric following the instructions.  Note:  do not iron over the image once it is applied to the cushion as it will damage the transfer...learned this the hard way!
* Follow the same steps that my daughter used to make her batik pillow using the 19" square as the front piece and the 2 hemmed 19"x17" pieces for the back.
* After the pillow front is sewn to the back, stitch a seam around the perimeter of the pillow 1/8" from the edge of the pillow.
* Put in your pillow form and enjoy your new pillows!

I now have 2 new Spring pillows to set the bird theme for our living room, both for about $4.50.  I don't think any shop in town could beat that! ;o)
Thriftily yours,  joey

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really enjoy reading your thoughts and ideas about the posts that I write here. It's nice to just say hi too!
~ joey ~